Monday, July 25, 2011

San Diego - 3 Evening

Today, my group worked in the soup kitchen in downtown San Diego and served lunch to over 1000 homeless people. Most of the people there were really grateful and nice and although it was tiring, we had a good time. Then, after enjoying our lunch in the park, we went over to a food pantry to help out. Next came our one-minute showers (slightly stressful) and then dinner (pasta... yum!). It has been a pretty good first full day here, and I am sure our experience will continue to get better and better.
And, to my family- Hi! I haven't been homesick at all and when I get back I will have lots of fun stories to tell :)

-Megan Dibble
Grade 9

Kate Walker and Megan Dibble share the serving line
responsibility as hot food trays are handed to incoming guests

Today I have experienced serving many people at a homeless shelter. Seeing all of those people smiling when they get their food reminded me that you don't need everything to be happy. Also today I went to the war memoral at the top of the mountian with a view from all directions including La Jolla and Mission Bay and Downtown San Diego and so much more. The mountain top was a reminder of my grandad and how remembering that when he died on Thanksgiving a couple of years ago, and remembering that he had a great experience in helping the war was simply amazing!

-Nicole Kalletta
Grade 9


First Pres Colorado Springs Group (partial) at San Diego's Mount Soledad Memorial awaiting sunset overlooking the Pacific Ocean

Today we had the amazing experience to serve homeless people while serving God at the same time. It made me happy to see the people's faces when they saw what we were doing, but sad when i realized how much we have compared to how much they don't.  It will be interesting to see if the same people come again tomorrow and I recognize most of them.  We get to have a bon fire tomorrow night on the beach and a pizza dinner too.  This is such a nice place.

-Josh Borst
Grade 8

We had a great time at our first mission site, a nursing home, and I learned that the elderly really can be active people when they danced the chicken dance and played instruments with us.  (There was also a coffee-throwing fight between two of the residents that was pretty interesting.)  Later at the food bank, our other site, the two teams there sorted food and decided which foods could be passed on based on their expiration dates.  I was a little shocked to see donations dating back to when I was born, but it showed me that many people don't donate to help people, but give away old foods that they won't even eat.  Still, knowing that we controlled the quality of the foods that will eventually be on people's plates was a good experience.  Looking forward to going to the beach tomorrow night.

-Tory Louis
Grade 9

Hello everyone, we had a great day at our first mission work site. First, we went to an elderly home type thing and talked for awhile then played a really fun game of bingo.  Then, second we went to a food bank type thing and packed food for people who have Aids and stuff like that. To end the great day, off we went to an AWESOME lookout and saw the sun set into the ocean ... and we played a litle football during that time too. So far a really good experience.

-Titus  Grant
Grade 7



 Will and Titus enjoy lunch between worksites with FPC students: Brooke, Starr and Tiara





I finally have gotten a hold of a computer with no kids around! :) Moms, Dads, Friends... this trip is amazing. I really honestly feel like I am on holy ground with this group. There are kids testifying to God's movement in their lives - conviction of complacency, dreams for the future, and a real desire to love and serve other people. I'm leading a small crew of great kids - Tiara, Starr, Brooke, Will and Titus. They really connected with the folks at Senior Nutrition Center - we played bingo and the boys learned to play dominos.Our second site was called Special Delivery and it prepares and delivers three meals a day, five days a week to those who are desperately ill - from HIV/Aids, MS, cancer and other illnessess. Two of the men we worked with today are HIV positive - I have to say that is a first for me and I guarantee for many of our students. We had a great talk in the car about what HIV is and how people can get it (I'm kinda surprised that they didn't learn this in health class, but perhaps that's next year's curriculum). That opened up the possibility to have some good conversations about how Jesus calls us to love others - even if lifestyle choices or health status are different or scary.

I've learned a few things about my crew: Brooke loves the palm trees (complete with hugging them) and has french braided my hair twice and is willing to jump in wherever, Will has been PRECIOUS in looking after his younger sister and invaluable as a navigator (thank you, Dad for teaching him!), Starr has the gift of encouragement and is always upbeat and happy, Tiara is beyond sweet and does an amazing job of connecting with the people we are working with, and Titus is observant and funny and ready to help whenever asked - especially when I need strong arms to carry heavy things (like our water jug).
I also want to say that I'm so impressed with my small group: Nate, Josh, Chloe, Nicole, Maggie, Tory, and (a guest appearance by small group stowaway Anna Wilson). They were so engaged in the lesson tonight and in the discussions that followed. God is at work. Big time.

So much love and thankfulness to God for how he is at work in my life and the lives of these kids.

Katie Harris, 78 Director

Will helping to prepare meals at Special Delivery.

4 comments:

Jo said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the photos of smiling teenagers in hairnets! What a terrific life lesson - serving others will cause you to smile regardless of how your hair looks!!

Jo Walker - amazed and grateful mom

Borst said...

I am loving this blog and all of the pictures. Reading the lessons the kids are getting out of what they are doing brings tears to my eyes. I am praying for all of you. Thank you to all of the amazing leaders that have volunteered to go on this mission with our kids and to help them see God through new eyes.

Tracy Borst

Becky Grant said...

I totally got teary-eyed reading this post! Thank You, Lord, for Your great love for each of us, no matter what our age, stage, or location. Praise Him!!!

Lara Lynn Lewis said...

Wow. It seems like every day gets better than the one before! I am so thankful for all of the ways the group is learning to serve and love people. Hang in there with the hard work. It feels good to be tired for all of the right reasons! (Hi, Chloe!)