Thursday, June 25, 2009

Rapid City - 6

this week we went to a youth development program and we got to spend a little time with some kids. then we went to a nursing home and hung out with people as old as 109! at the nursing home i learned a card game called canasta. two people called Edna and Joe taught us it. through all of the fun i learned to look to start looking at people more through God's eyes than mine. hope you guys are having just as much fun.

Paul F, Grade 8

During this riveting week we had a lot of good times! First we went to the youth development program for native Americans, while we were there I met this very interesting little boy. His name is Jacob, the first day I think he was shy so he tended to be mean and obnoxious. But the next day we were playing basketball and I was being a very good teammate to him, so a little while after that he became very nice and he asked if i could give him a piggy back ride and of course i said Yes! When we were leaving he gave me a hug. Later that night we went to Mount Rushmore. The next day we went to a nursing home and Paul and I met this very smart woman. Her name is Ruth, she is a author with Multiple Sclerosis, so she has a voice commanded computer and she is very smart. Later that night we had a scavenger hunt around the city and we saw the thirty-five metal presidential statues. Tonight we will be having a cook-out here at the church, and at this event the homeless people and other underprivileged people. Also tomorrow we will be leaving this magnificent city. This week will soon end, but the memories will last forever!

Tyler C, Grade 8



This week has been one of the most eye-opening times of my life. God has definitely been working in this youthworks station. One of the highlights definitely had to be meeting the vivid characters at the Valley Springs Nursing Home. These people really do enjoy singing, luckily a girl in our group could sight read on the piano. Just playing a few hymns brought a crowd into the dining hall. Only those few moments that we spent with these people will stay in my heart until one day I'll be the one that the next generation will be singing to. In addition to staying at the nursing home I sorted food at the food bank. It was a very new and disgusting part of this week. I really don't think that mayonnaise should be that color, but now I think that I will be much more careful when I clean out the fridge! Dinner crew started about ten minutes ago and I think that I'm on tonight. Pray that I don't burn down the church!

Michelle C, Age 13 grade 8

No comments: